|— Tatsumaki talking to her sister
Tatsumaki (タツマキ, Tatsumaki; Viz: Tornado), also known by her hero alias Tornado of Terror (戦慄のタツマキ, Senritsu no Tatsumaki; Viz: Terrible Tornado), is the S-Class Rank 2 professional hero of the Hero Association. She is recognized as one of the Hero Association's most powerful heroes. She is an esper and the older sister and self-declared teacher of Fubuki. She and her sister are known as the Psychic Sisters.
After fighting toe-to-toe with Saitama, she became one of the few people aware of his strength.
Tatsumaki is a petite woman, commonly mistaken for being much younger than she really is. She has an adolescent face with emerald green eyes, and green hair that naturally curls up on the ends. She wears a form-fitting black dress with long sleeves, and four high-cut leg slits that show off her legs and low-heeled black shoes. She is occasionally drawn in ONE's simplistic webcomic style.
Tatsumaki has a rather brash, moody, hotheaded, and impatient personality. She is disrespectful towards most people, especially to those she deems incompetent. She is completely intolerant to those she deems impertinent, as shown when she slammed Genos into a large piece of rubble for retaliating against her verbal abuse of Saitama. Tatsumaki especially dislikes being ignored or being called things like "brat" and "runt".
Despite her arrogant personality, she feels obligated to defeat monsters and considers her job as a hero to be a duty, accepting any of the Hero Association's requests to defeat monsters. Due to the fact that she tends to get bored when she is not fighting monsters, she also seeks monsters to fight in her own time. She has a bit of a soft side towards her little sister, Fubuki, but she is also very overprotective and controlling of her.
Tatsumaki is extremely confident in her strength. During the S-Class meeting for Waganma's rescue, she claims multiple times that no monster stands a chance against her, and even takes the situation nonchalantly to a certain extent.
Deep down she has a strong dislike for anything that reminds her of her dark childhood past, such as despising the criminal monsters who involve kids like Tareo into dangerous hopeless situations.
In contrast to her younger sister, her great power and confidence make her suffer from a massive superiority complex, believing that she can beat any foe if she is in top shape. This is shown during the fight with Garou, when he adapts and surpasses all of her attacks, she assures him that she would not need more than five seconds if she was at her full power. Furthermore, even after trying in vain to defeat Saitama, she still asserts that she is much more powerful than him, showing her incapability to see or accept the fact that someone is much more powerful than her. Her superiority complex is further explained by Fubuki from the fact that Tatsumaki never faces enemies that are more powerful than herself during her day-to-day hero activities.
The superiority complex Tatsumaki has developed has prevented her from developing any humility and she has little empathy towards others. This poor self-awareness has caused her to use her power seemingly without caution or care for those around her and has often prevented her from thinking carefully about the consequences of her actions. For example, her explosive temper caused earthquakes and multiple threats that the hero association tried to respond to when she became angry at Saitama for calling her a brat and a midget. This may be part of the reason why her fellow S-Class heroes and others within the association, while very respectful of her abilities, see her as a spoiled brat and a child rather than an adult, much to her chagrin. Her poor communication skills and prideful attitude have done little to soften this initial impression and are the cause of her poor relationship with her sister.
Confidence in her ability along with past trauma have made Tatsumaki extremely self-reliant, to the point she considers friendships and relationships of any kind to be of no value. She threatened to rip all the contacts and friends out of Fubuki's life calling them parasites and believing them to be the cause of her sister's slow development, though her own poor mentorship and extremely controlling nature are the more likely cause. It has also made her very dismissive of her fellow heroes and she tends to ignore any criticism from them however valid it may be. Her confidence is not baseless, as nearly no opponents have ever proven to be more than a nuisance to her.
Despite her past and the terrible things people have done to her, she still chose to become a hero on her own and help others. She is terrible at socializing and sometimes even getting along with others, but loves her sister dearly. Because of this, Tatsumaki will do anything to make her sister stronger, even if it takes some force, though she never seems to take Fubuki's opinion into account when she does so. She always solves problems physically.
As a child, Tatsumaki always thought she was the cooler one of the two; she figured this had to be true if her little sister, Fubuki, played with her all the time, although this was not the case. It was actually because the kids in their neighborhood were terrified of Tatsumaki, and it led to Fubuki getting isolated from everyone. Tatsumaki was denied any contact with her family or the outside world after being taken away, and it was because of this that she developed an overprotective nature over her sister, which led to her sister resenting her and constantly trying to separate herself from Tatsumaki. Tatsumaki's pride makes her think she is a really good sister to Fubuki, when in fact all of her actions towards Fubuki have damaged their relationship.
Abilities and Powers
As the second-ranked S-Class hero, Tatsumaki is extremely powerful. She is one of the most powerful heroes overall and is the most powerful esper to date. Fubuki describes her as a monster much like Sweet Mask, who chooses not to advance from A-Class to S-Class to prevent weaklings from climbing up the ranks. Darkshine once told Garou that if the latter fought Tatsumaki, he would instantly lose. She can also battle and gain the upper hand against Psykos while the other esper was fusing with Orochi.
Psychokinesis: Tatsumaki is the most powerful esper in the series. Her psychokinetic output surpasses even Geryuganshoop. She is capable of effortlessly stopping a very powerful bombardment attack from Boros' giant spaceship as well as sending them back at the ship with the same, if not more, force. According to manga illustrator Yusuke Murata, Tatsumaki can lift the entirety of Z-City. Tatsumaki can also sense when her younger sister is in danger. In her brief fight against Hundred-Eyes Octopus, an enormous Demon-level monster with the size of a skyscraper if not bigger, she effortlessly sent the monster flying in the air and crushed it with her telekinesis power. During her call from the Hero Association to discuss the rescue of Narinki's son, she asked Commander Sekingar if she couldn't just destroy Z-City to find him. Her psychic abilities are powerful enough to withstand Psykos's increasing the gravity by 300 times. At full power, she was able to lift the entire Monster Association Headquarters out of the ground while simultaneously shielding multiple other heroes inside the facility. She was also able to throw mountain-sized rocks at very high speeds. After finally pulling the other heroes out of the Monster Association HQ, Tatsumaki was shown to have the upper hand against the fusion of Psykos and Orochi and completely destroyed most of the fusion monster's body by twisting it, causing the entire Z-City to distort in the process.
Like all espers, she cannot use her powers if she suffers from a head injury or any brain damage. It has been shown that Tatsumaki's powers destabilize, and to an extent become unusable, when she suffers a concussion after Psykos ambushes her from behind. She was also strong enough to lift Saitama in the air while in a weakened state, although she was only able to lift him a few feet in the air.
- Flight: Tatsumaki uses psychokinesis to levitate and fly through the air at high speeds.
- Psychic Barriers: Tatsumaki can erect barriers that varies in size for defense. They were strong enough to withstand Orochi's combined energy blasts with only a slightly singed dress. She was also able to create a barrier so great that its size seemingly almost enveloped the entire Z-City, as well as being able to invert and add an another layer to the barrier in order to trap any target within it, making it hard if not impossible to escape.
- Chi Manipulation: An ability to immobilize and cause discomfort to a person by bending his/her life force. This power is less effective against people with strong willpower like Golden Sperm, and almost futile against those who have broken their limiter or have come close to such a feat like Saitama and Garou. According to Fubuki, attempting to use this technique on a strong-willed person is just like trying to pin a giant boulder.
- Psychic Remote: Tatsumaki can control TV channels using psychic power.
Immense Speed and Reflexes: Tatsumaki possesses extreme levels of speed and reflexes. She was fast enough to react to and save the other S-Class heroes from multiple missiles fired from Boros's spaceship. She was also able to keep up with and dodge multiple energy attacks from Psykos fusing with Orochi, an extremely powerful fusion-type monster that can fire energy beams that can cut through the Earth's surface in seconds.
Enhanced Endurance: Tatsumaki is able to remain conscious and continue fighting even after exerting herself due to using too much power, as shown when she managed to create a giant barrier that its size seemingly almost enveloped the entire Z-City while still suffering injuries from her battle with Psykos and Orochi.
She was able to repel the exploding shurikens from Speed-o'-Sound Sonic with ease. She is also able to react fast enough to erect a barrier to protect herself from an attack from Golden Sperm, an attack that S-Class members watching could not even see.
Master Psychic Combatant: As the most powerful esper in the series, Tatsumaki possesses extreme skill in wielding her psychic abilities, whether it be for offense, defense, or miscellaneous uses. Tatsumaki's knowledge about psychic powers is also as vast as her skill in wielding them. Instead of relying purely in brute force, Tatsumaki has demonstrated the ability to strategize by creating a dummy of herself to distract Psykos while flying discretely beneath Psykos to target a weak point.
- Psychic Whirlwind (念流廻転嵐, Nen-ryū Kaiten Arashi): This is an anti-psychic technique. By making her psychic signals move in circles around her, Tatsumaki can create a whirlwind capable of harmlessly redirecting or deflecting psychic attacks. She developed this technique during her childhood and has further developed it into an attack.
- Psychic Binding (念動金縛り, Nen-dō Kanashibari): An ability used to suppress the power of another esper.
- "Mental strength is secondary. All you really need is overwhelming power."
- (To Sekingar) "Do not do anything that might put my sister at risk. If she ends up getting involved in the upcoming battle against the Monster Association, I'm coming after you."
- "I don't think I can be beaten."
- "I shouldn't believe that someone will help me eventually."
- (Referring to Blast) "There's no way I can say I became a pro hero thanks to him. When will you come back, Blast?"
- Tatsumaki is ranked 6th in the character popularity poll.
- According to the databook:
- Tatsumaki is her real name. The origin of her hero name comes from the Hero Association wishing to honor her terrifying abilities. As a result, "Terror" was added to her name.
- Tatsumaki has a cameo appearance in Chapter 8 of Mob Psycho 100 when describing what espers are.
- ONE has said that Tatsumaki is usually stronger than Mob, the protagonist of ONE's other work, Mob Psycho 100, but if he gets serious, he is not sure.
- Tatsumaki is obsessed with candy apples and goes to festivals just to buy them and has a fear of ghosts because of an incident with Saitama.
- Murata stated that Geryuganshoop's ability to control flying objects should be above Tatsumaki, because he can eliminate the friction between rocks and air. If Tatsumaki throws rocks as he does, her output will be too powerful, the temperature will increase due to friction and pressure, and evaporate the rocks in an instant. Geryuganshoop's psychokinesis can eliminate the friction between objects and air, the rocks will fly at sub-light speed. Tatsumaki can throw very large objects, but there's a limit to how fast she can throw them.
- During a stream when Murata was describing what ethnicity the characters would be in the real world, Murata stated the Psychic sisters look French.
- The animation team misinterpreted ONE's intentions when animating the Ancient King fight. ONE only wanted Tatsumaki to drop a big boulder on Ancient King, prompting the Ancient King to have a flashback of the meteor that destroyed his race eons ago and start to scream. The meteor falling was meant to occur in the flashback, not be a feat of Tatsumaki. According to Murata, if Tatsumaki were able to pull the meteor from space, she would have been able to bring down Boros' ship without difficulty.
- In the 2017 One Punch Man Halloween cover, Tatsumaki was depicted as a typical witch flying on a broom. In the cover, she wears a witch hat, an orange scarf, and orange Jack-O'-Lantern-themed pants, while retaining her black dress. She also wears long striped socks.
- ONE stated that Tatsumaki in her best shape could have beaten Golden Sperm.