|— Bang talking about martial arts.|
Bang (バング, Bangu), also known by his hero alias Silver Fang (シルバーファング, Shirubā Fangu), is a professional hero, a martial arts master, and the creator and teacher of Water Stream Rock Smashing Fist. He is the 3rd highest ranked S-Class hero of the Hero Association and is recognized as one of its most powerful heroes. He is currently settled in Z-City. In his youth, he was nicknamed Wind of Blood (血の風, Chi no kaze).
Bang and his brother, Bomb, are the two greatest masters of the martial arts world. He is currently trying to recruit new disciples into his dojo, with his main targets being Saitama and Genos. Bang is also one of the few that recognize Saitama's strength and is part of the Saitama Group.
Bang is an elderly man and walks with a slight hunch in his back. He has light blue eyes and tan skin. He has spike white hair, thick white eyebrows, and a thick white mustache. He wears a long-sleeved black martial arts jumpsuit, light-colored pants, and Tai Chi slippers. Despite his old age, his body is lean and very muscular, and it is covered in scars.
Bang appears to have a serious personality, however; his true personality is said to be surprisingly playful. His demeanor is normally calm, shown when he is seemingly unperturbed by the Dragon-level meteor falling on Z-City. Unlike most other heroes, Bang prefers to be called by his name rather than his hero alias Silver Fang.
Bang is also well-grounded in the ethics of heroism; he accuses the other S-Class heroes of being heartless for ignoring the disaster in Z-City and attending to their own problems instead. Additionally, when witnessing Tanktop Black Hole accuse Saitama of causing the civilians' misery, Bang watches from a distance sympathetically, but without interruption, noting that heroes have to take responsibility for their actions, and will normally have to deal with the lack of appreciation for their work. Later, when his disciple Charanko confronts Saitama by praising his martial arts master's skill and hero rank, Bang scolds his disciple not to embarrass him and states outright that Saitama is many times stronger than he is.
Perhaps due to losing all but one of his disciples to his former top disciple Garou (on top of his old age and his remaining disciple's incompetence), Bang is always eagerly looking for new disciples to succeed him. After stating that he would not want the meteorite to fall on Z-City as it would erase his dojo, Bang quickly demonstrates his Water Stream Rock Smashing Fist, to Genos, only to realize that the cyborg had already left. Later, he invites Saitama and Genos to his dojo to try and recruit them to his dojo. His unyieldingness to protect the citizens/civilians can be said as strategic importance in the world of heroes. He has a sense of nobility and moral integrity, thus earning respect from the other heroes.
Bang cares deeply for his former disciple, Garou. He fears for Garou's fate of becoming a monster, a process that seems irreversible.
Bang's character seems to change when he becomes angered. He speaks less, and his fighting style becomes less efficient. He resorts to a barrage of attacks instead of a single powerful blow.
He is also disgusted at the negative and unhealthy hero culture of the Hero Association as he reveals to Atomic Samurai in their fishing trip that the Hero Association has lost sight of its goal.
In his past, Bang was shown to be pompous, arrogant, and abrasive, very much like Garou. He would go around challenging fighters who appeared strong and constantly put them in the hospital in order to grow stronger and prove his talent. Whereas his current martial art style focused on self-defense and redirecting opponent's attacks, Bang's past martial art style was geared toward destructive power, a reflection of his violent nature. He believed that his power was meant solely for enjoying himself, and was willing to fight whoever it took to make himself stronger. His arrogance and malevolence grew to the point that he was fully intending on killing his older brother during their fight. However, after having been defeated by Bomb, he became humbled, focusing on developing his Water Stream Rock Smashing Fist as a defensive martial art and opening up a dojo to follow in his brother's footsteps.
Abilities and Powers
As the third-ranked S-Class hero, Bang is one of the most powerful heroes of the Hero Association. Even among the S-Class, his presence is exceptional. He is also an outstanding proficient martial artist and a capable martial arts teacher, having taught Water Stream Rock Smashing Fist to his former disciple Garou, who is also incredibly skilled in the art. Garou himself has also stated that Demon-level beings like Bug God and Royal Ripper are nothing compared to his former master. He is known as an idol and treasure of martial arts, almost being like a god in the martial arts world, and thus one of the most skilled and powerful martial artists in the world, despite the fact that he is past his physical prime. He and Superalloy Darkshine are considered the twin pillars of the hero world. Bang's combination of immense physical power and vast martial arts prowess makes him one of the most powerful close-range fighters in the Hero Association. His martial arts knowledge and experience enabled him to gain the upper hand against Superalloy Darkshine in a sparring match, despite the latter having greater physical prowess.
Immense Strength: Despite his old age, Bang possesses incredible physical strength, far beyond that of an average hero, even by S-Class standards. He has been shown to be able to destroy meteorite fragments with his bare hands. Upon facing Fist Fight Djinn, a Demon-level threat, Bang was able to annihilate the monster in an instant, to the shock of Smile Man. He was also strong enough to create a huge crater during his fight with Garou and brutally injure the Hero Hunter. Combining his strength with his brother, Bang was able to knock Elder Centipede back and destroy the enormous monster's carapace armor, which was able to withstand Metal Knight’s missiles and Metal Bat’s swings without a scratch. Against the two Dragon-level threats Gums and Fuhrer Ugly, Bang was capable of ripping a hole through the former with a single kick, and pushing the latter back with a series of strikes, causing heavy damage to the monsters.
Immense Speed and Reflexes: Bang possesses impressive speed and reflexes, far beyond that of average heroes. He was able to follow the movements of extremely fast opponents and could not only outrun a falling spaceship but also all of the S-Class heroes present, such as Atomic Samurai, Metal Bat, and Puri-Puri Prisoner. Atomic Samurai even questioned how Bang can be so fast, despite being one of the fastest S-Class heroes himself. During a sparring match with Metal Bat, he was able to dodge and repel all of Metal Bat's swings, as well as significantly exhaust him with little effort. His immense speed allows him to deliver high-speed combos in an instant, and run dozens of miles before tiring, being able to run much farther in his prime. He was able to move faster than Do-S could see and incapacitate her along with many of her love slaves within mere moments. When a horde of Black Sperm clones surrounded him and Genos, Bang was capable of dispatching multiple clones in quick succession.
Immense Durability: Bang is incredibly resilient. He was able to survive a direct hit from Melzargard that sent him crashing through several pieces of concrete debris without apparent injuries, the same attack blew off the A-Class hero Iaian's arm. After being forcibly thrown to the ground by Elder Centipede, Bang only sustained little damage. Elder Centipede's stomach acid, which damaged Genos's parts, left only minor marks on his skin.
Enhanced Stamina: Bang possesses an amazing level of stamina. He says he is able to run a few dozen kilometers before getting winded, although his age has taken a toll on his stamina.
Enhanced Senses: Bang's senses are also far beyond the human norm. He seems to have developed a sixth sense, being able to sense the presence of others without the usage of his natural five senses.
Master Martial Artist: From decades of experience and training, Bang is one of the most powerful martial artists in the world. Bang possesses a vast knowledge of martial arts and, as a result, was able to create his own martial art. He is considered to be the "Greatest Treasure of Martial Arts". His Water Stream Rock Smashing Fist is much more efficient and precise than Garou’s, as Darkshine himself made the comparison after fighting the Hero Hunter, stating that compared to Bang, his technique was still far from perfect. Garou must make a conscious effort in order to use the techniques, but for Bang, it has become part of his very being. His mastery of martial arts was also displayed in a sparring match against a fellow S-Class hero, Superalloy Darkshine, whom Bang was able to avoid and deflect all attacks from, as well as during his clash against Fuhrer Ugly and Gums, two powerful Dragon-level threats, in which Bang was capable of skillfully deflecting all attacks from the former and redirecting them at either itself or towards the latter.
- Water Stream Rock Smashing Fist (流水岩砕拳, Ryūsui Gansai-ken; Viz: Fist of Flowing Water, Crushed Rock): A martial art developed by Bang himself after many years of training, and is said to be the ultimate defensive art. Genos describes the style as "the perfect blend of offense and defense". Charanko describes Bang, or at least his usage of the martial art, as "leading his enemies around the nose by moving like a calm stream, only to finish them off with a punch strong enough to smash great rocks like a raging river", implying that Water Stream Rock Smashing Fist parallels real-life Tai Chi.
- Water Stream Encampment (流水陣, Ryūsui-jin): Bang creates an area where his fists destroy anything that enters. First used to protect Genos from the falling meteor debris.
- Instant Movement (瞬身功, Shunshinkō): Bang jumps at his opponent using special footwork, then elegantly and quickly moves as if he was flowing, and confuses them with a swift feint and then performs a fast piercing attack. First used against Melzargard.
- Piercing Fang (牙挿指, Gasōshi): With his trained fingertips, Bang can pierce even the smallest of vital points with a single strike of unmatched accuracy. This move is as smooth as water but powerful enough to destroy rock with unparalleled destructive power.
- Abandonment (見切り, Mikiri): By training his dynamic visual acuity and anticipating the enemy's movements, Bang is able to demonstrate the terrifying power of abandonment. He can catch and pierce even the quickest of enemies with precision.
- Awakening Breath (剛醒呼法, Gousei Kohou): A breathing technique that draws from the very limits of one's body. When used, Bang's mobility, agility, and maneuverability, are heightened. In his fight against Elder Centipede, Bang utilized the technique to prepare to fight the enormous monster so that Bomb and Genos could escape with the unconscious heroes. He is later seen using the technique again to save Tanktop Master from Gums. Before fighting Garou in his evolved state, Bang utilizes Awakening Breath to go all-out against the former disciple.
- Explosion Release Fist (爆心解放拳, Bakushin Kaihō-ken): Bang's primary martial art before developing Water Stream Rock Smashing Fist. Unlike his current fighting style, the Explosion Release Fist focuses more on offensive and destructive power. After being defeated by Bomb, Bang abandoned this fighting style, locking the scrolls inscribed with the secret techniques in a safe and developing the Water Stream Rock Smashing Fist instead. Bang does not like using this martial art anymore due to it reminding him of his past self, as he refused to resort to it during his fight with an evolved Garou, even when being forced into a corner.
- Whirlwind Water Stream: Roaring Aura Sky Ripping Fist (旋風流水 轟気空裂拳, Senpū Ryūsui: Gōki Kūretsu-ken; Viz: Whirling Wind Flowing Water: Fist of Roaring Qi, Rending Air): A powerful technique that combines both Whirlwind Iron Cutting Fist and Water Stream Rock Smashing Fist. To perform the technique, Bang and Bomb stand side-by-side and assume strong stances. Both perform their respective martial arts and strike the opponent simultaneously, sending powerful shockwaves through the opponent's body. The technique was powerful enough to knock back a charging Elder Centipede and shatter the monster's carapace. They can only perform this technique once per battle due to their age. Traditionally, when the technique connects, the shockwaves created will spread through the victim's entire body, which ultimately reduces the victim to dust.
- Whirlwind Water Stream: Cross Fang Dragon Slayer Fist (旋風流水 交牙竜殺拳, Senpū Ryūsui: Kōga Ryūsatsu-ken; Viz: Whirling Wind Flowing Water: Fist of Biting Fangs, Killing Dragons): A combination of the martial arts of Bang and Bomb, even more powerful than Whirlwind Water Stream: Roaring Aura Sky Ripping Fist. Both perform extremely powerful strikes at their opponent with their respective martial arts during combat.
- (To his older brother) "I did not raise Garou to be that weak, that's why I am responsible for beating him."
- (About to assist Tatsumaki) "Well, then. If we are helping out our lovely leader... I may as well head in and do my part too."
- (To Fuhrer Ugly) "I don't recommend it. Water Stream Rock Smashing Fist is the ultimate art for redirecting force. Before it, your fists are as tree leaves in a raging river."
- Bang is ranked 13th in the character popularity poll.
- Bang is either left-handed or ambidextrous as he is shown to use chopsticks in his left hand.
- According to the databook:
- Bang's hero name, Silver Fang, is from the union of silver, due to his age, and fang because of the sharpness of his technique.
- The Water Stream Rock Smashing Fist is a technique invented by Bang himself when he was studying with his brother Bomb. All of his scars are the proof of his training trying to master it.
- He has the second-highest hero rating according to the Hero Association, higher than even Tatsumaki but below King.
- In the original storyboard of chapter 84, ONE had Bang fight against Elder Centipede along with his Water Stream Rock Smashing Fist. Bang planned to push Elder aside, but was only able to delay Elder’s advance, while Bang ended up being the one getting pushed aside.
- In the 2017 One Punch Man Halloween cover, Bang was depicted as a Taoist Priest, guiding the jiangshi Bomb, Blue Fire and Lin Lin by using ofuda, Japanese traditional paper talismans.
|Heroes||Bang • Max • Sneck|
|Villains||Garou • Gouketsu † • Bakuzan † • Benpatsu * • Choze † • Hamukichi * • Volten * • Rosie † • Fist Fight Djinn †|
|Unaffiliated||Bazuzu • Bomb • Charanko • Dave • Gatlin • Jakumen • Lin Lin • Mentai • Sour Face • Suicho † • Suiko • Suiryu • Zakos|